From time to time, all of us suffer from annoying, intense headaches. And when this occurs, we are willing to do anything to make them go away. Thus, our first instinct is to look for a paracetamol in the medicine cabinet. But, more often than not, we can’t find a pill at hand. So, what do we do then? Well, instead of panicking you can try another simple way to effectively get rid of a headache – acupressure.
This headache relief technique has its origins in Chinese medicine and its effectiveness has been confirmed by a number of scientific studies. This is essentially a massage which doesn’t require any special medical knowledge.
Before you begin, find a comfortable position and relax. This won’t take away much of your precious time. The massage lasts from 30 seconds to a minute on average and it’s done with light pressing or circular movements. Your symptoms should subside during the massage or 5-10 minutes after it.
The 6 main pressure points to make a headache disappear
1. Yintang, or the third eye point, is centered between the eyebrows in the spot where the bridge of your nose passes into the forehead. This point also helps with eye fatigue removal.
2. These symmetrical points are situated at the base of the inside edge of the eyebrows. Massaging this area will also relieve a runny nose and improve your visual acuity. You should massage for a minute with gentle pressure and circular movements.
3. The Yingxiang points are located on both sides of the nostrils in line with the eyes. To find them, you should feel a dimple in the bottom of the cheekbones. This will reduce headaches and toothache, open your sinuses and relieve stress.
4. These points are in the middle of the back of your head, between the ear and the beginning of the spine. Massaging this place will help you relieve nasal congestion, severe headaches and migraines, and pain in the eyes and ears.
5. The Shuai Gu points are located 2-3 cm from the beginning of the hairline, near your temples. Feel a small dimple in order to find this point. By applying pressure to this area, you can relieve pain in the temporal region and eye fatigue.
6. These points are located on the back of your hand, between the thumb and forefinger. Pressing this area will also relieve your toothache, back pain, and neck tension.
So, what are you waiting for? Go try this simple method and make that nasty headache go away.